In the early years of the 20' Century, the Sikhs around the Siputeh area were mainly tin mine workers, bullock cart drivers, or working in the Police Force.
These Sikhs built the first Gurdwara Sahib in Siputeh around 1920. Sardar Khem Singh Roori and Sardar Nand Singh played an important role in setting up Gurdwara Sahib, which was a single storey wooden building with a tiled roof situated on a piece of land, 1 1/2 acres in size.
During the Japanese occupation of Malaya (1942 - 1945) and the communist insurgency (1948 to 1960's), the scattered Sikh community around Siputeh, was all housed in the Gurdwara Sahib premises.
In 1997, the Sikh Sangat of Siputeh decided to build a new Gurdwara Sahib. The foundation stone of this Gurdwara Sahib was laid by Dr. Surinder Singh s/o Vasan Singh in late 1997. The cost of this new single storey brick structure came to RM200,000.00 which was raised through donations. The completed new Gurdwara Sahib Siputeh was officially declared open by Dr. Surinder Singh in January 1999.
The Guru Ka Langgar hall and kitchen is located on the left of the Gurdwara Sahib building. The Granthi's quarters, office and four rooms for Sikh visitors are on the right side of the Gurdwara Sahib.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, their assistants and seven committee members. The present Trustees of the Gurdwara Sahib are the current President, Secretary and Treasurer, Sardar Mohan Singh, Sardar Jagdeep Singh and Sardar Harjeet Singh respectively.
There are presently about 15 Sikh families residing around the Siputeh area who participate in the religious activities held in this Gurdwara Sahib.
Thel weekly prayers are held on Sundays from 9.00a.m. to 12.00 noon. Other religious programmes are held as and when necessary at the request of the Sangat.
Sikh Gurudwaras in Malaysia&Singapore
Saran Singh Sidhu AMN,PNM,FRNS