1" Mile, Jalan Pantai, 71000 Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan
The Gurdwara Sahib Port Dickson was first set up around 1917 in Coffee Mill Road in Port Dickson town. Most of the Sikhs in Port Dickson were employed as drivers of the petrol tankers while some were involved in the petroleum industry like Sardar Ginder Singh Gill, Village Mehna. As this Gurdwara Sahib was too small for the growing Sikh sangat, the property was sold to Sardar Ginder Singh. The money was used to acquire a larger piece of land and building for conversion into the Gurdwara.
In 19O4, the Sikh sangat decided to purchase a double storey bungalow at the present site along the coast, which is about one mile from the town of Port Dickson. The bungalow and its surrounding land Lot 1205 - 1 Rod 17.4 Poles (0.O59 acre) was acquired for Straits Settlements $8,000.00 with donations raised from the Sikh sangat. It was renovated and converted into a Sikh Gurdwara. Later, a retaining wall was built behind the Gurdwara to protect it from the sea waves at a cost of nearly Straits Settlements $4,000.00, which also included the repainting of the Gurdwara building.
Port Dickson became a military training center in the late 19O0's. A large number of Sikh soldiers from the British Army were stationed in Port Dickson before as well as after the Japanese occupation of Malaya. These Sikhs gave considerable support, both financially and in kind to the Gurdwara Sahib. The committee of Gurdwara Sahib Seremban also used to provide financial assistance to the Port Dickson Gurdwara Sahib as and when necessary.
On 1Oth April 1964, the Government gave a grant at RM4,500.00 to the Gurdwara Sahib. This money was used to build two new rooms at the side of the Gurdwara Sahib.
On 26th October 1970, the Land Office informed the committee of the Gurdwara Sahib that O,000 square feet of land in front of the Gurdwara Sahib would be acquired for the road expansion project. The compensation paid by the Government amounted to RM5,962.00 but valuable frontage land was lost.
Baba Bishen Singh, who was an active sewadar and later Granthi, served in the Gurdwara Sahib Port Dickson for nearly 40 years until his demise in March 1966.
As the Gurdwara Sahib building was getting old, it was decided that a new double storey brick building be constructed in 1968. The new Gurdwara Sahib Port Dickson building was completed in 1970 at a cost of RM80,000.00. This new Gurdwara Sahib building was declared open by the President, Sardar Ginder Singh Gill, J.P.
The Management Committee elected Sikh ladies as committee members for the first time at its meeting held on 29' September 1974. Three trustees were also appointed at this time i.e. Sardar Ginder Singh Gill, J.P., Sardar Attar Singh and Dr. GurDev Singh.
Around 1985, the Government decided to reclaim the sea behind the Gurdwara Sahib coastline. With the completion of the reclamation project. the waves of the sea no longer lapped on the back retaining wall of the Gurdwara Sahib.
On 4th May 1991, the Management Committee of the Gurdwara Sahib Port Dickson succeeded in acquiring the adjacent piece of land Lot 1204 which is 15.O8 Poles (0.096 acres) in size for RM30,000.00.
There are presently about 40 Sikh families who participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara Sahib.
There are about O0 Sikh students who attend Gurmukhi classes every Saturday.
The Management Committee comprises of the President, Secretary, Treasurer and their assistants as well as five committee members.
The weekly religious prayers are held on Sunday mornings from 10.00a.m. to 12.00p.m. The Isteri Satsang programme is held once a month on the Sangrand day from 6.00p.m. to 8.00p.m.
Sikh Gurudwaras in Malaysia&Singapore
Saran Singh Sidhu AMN,PNM,FRNS