By the end of the 19th Century, the Federated Malay States Police were stationed at Bluff Road, which is presently the site of the Royal Malaysian Police Headquarters, and is now known as Bukit Aman.
In 1890, the Federated Malay States Government built a Gurdwara Sahib for the Sikhs in the Police Force to serve their religious, social and cultural needs. This is the first Sikh Police Gurdwara in Kuala Lumpur. It is situated on Lot Number 35 Section 60 in the City and District of Kuala Lumpur and located at Number 3, Jalan Parliament, 50480 Kuala Lumpur. At that time, the main road leading to this Police Gurdwara Sahib was known as Club Road.
In 1906, the Federated Malay States (F. M. S.) Police Depot was established at Bluff Road. This F. M. S. Depot became a training centre for the Police personnel and new recruits. The Sikh Temple in Jalan Parliament was then taken over by the Sikh Police personnel attached to the F. M. S. Depot in Bluff Road. This Gurdwara Sahib was maintained by the F. M. S. Police and repairs were carried out by the Public Works Department (PWD). The Granthi was engaged and paid by the F. M. S. Police.
In 1940, the Police Depot (now known as PULAPOL) was shifted to Gurney Road (now known as Jalan Semarak) in Kuala Lumpur. The old Police Depot in Bluff Road was then handed over to the Sikh Guard and Escort Company including the Sikh Temple in Jalan Parliament.
In 1961, the Sikh personnel in the Sikh Guard and Escort Company obtained a ten-year lease for the Gurdwara Sahib land at Jalan Parliament from the Commissioner of Land, Selangor. When the lease expired in 1971, the authorities did not extend the lease any further. The Gurdwara Sahib Management Committee than appealed to the Menteri Besar (Chief Minister) of the State of Selangor for an extension of the lease but it was not considered.
On 10' May 1982 the Director of Lands and Mines of the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur served a Notice on the Management Committee of the Gurdwara Sahib, that the building be removed from the land as it was situated on Government land without any approval.
On 5' June 1982, the Gurdwara Sahib Management Committee appealed through their solicitors, Messrs Balwant Singh & Sons, that the Gurdwara Sahib be allowed to remain at the present site, or otherwise, a suitable alternative site be provided by the Government, together with financial aid to build a new Gurdwara building.
Between 1989 and 1999, several proposals and counterproposals for a suitable piece of land to build a new Gurdwara have not materialised.
On April 2001 during the Vesakhi celebrations an appeal was made to the Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, to allow the present site to be retained as a Gurdwara Sahib. This matter is still under consideration.
This Gurdwara is now managed by the Management Committee of the Gurdwara Sahib Police, Jalan Balai Police (formerly High Street), Kuala Lumpur.
Baba Bachan Singh Ji Village Kore Wala Kelan, Tehsil and District Moga, served as a Granthi in this Gurdwara Sahib for nearly 17 years from 1968 to 1985.
The weekly programme is held on Sunday mornings from 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m. The Asa Di War Kirtan is recited in this Gurdwara followed by the Katha (explanations of the Gurbani) and ArDas prayers.
The Sikh Naujawan programme is held on the first Friday of the month at 12.00 p.m. after which Guru ka Languor is served.
Sikh Gurudwaras in Malaysia&Singapore
Saran Singh Sidhu AMN,PNM,FRNS