The first Gurdwara Sahib was originally located in Cheras, Ulu Pudu. It was made of wooden planks with an attap roof, as was the normal practice in the early days. The Sikh families who lived in the vicinity were mostly cattle owners, bullock cart drivers and farmers.
The British re-located the Sikhs and other families to the Kampung Pandan Settlement area around 1950. Two lots of land approximately 12,000 square feet in size were allocated for the construction of the new Gurdwara Sahib building. In 1952, the Gurdwara Sahib building was built on the new site. It was made of wooden planks with a zinc roof.
In 1962, new Gurdwara building was built on the same site at a cost of approximately RM50,000.00. It was constructed with bricks and concrete with a tiled roof in accordance with an approved building plan.
Around 1970, five Trustees were appointed by the sangat, They were Sardar Bachan Singh, Sardar Kishen Singh, Sardar Utam Singh, Sardar Sohan Singh 'and Sardar Ajaib Singh. The management committee comprises of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, their assistants and six committee members.
Gurmukhi classes are conducted in this Gurdwara every Sunday afternoon from 3.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m. There are presently about 90 Sikh students with 8 teachers in this Gurdwara.
There are presently about 200 families who participate in the religious activities in this Gurdwara Sahib. The normal weekly prayers are held on Sundays from 6.30a.m. to 8.30a.m. during which time the Asa Di War is recited. The Isteri Satsang programme is held on Mondays from 3.00p.m. to 5.00p.m.
Sikh Gurudwaras in Malaysia&Singapore
Saran Singh Sidhu AMN,PNM,FRNS