This is the historical place where Jagat Guru Nanak Ji departed from this world on 23rd Assu, Samvat 1596 (22nd Sept. 1529 AD). It is also called Dera Nanak Baba. Dera Sahib railway station, on Lahore-Narowal section, serves this place. The Shrine is located by the River Ravi within a distance of four kilometers from the railway station.
The present building was built at a cost of Rs.1,35,600, donated by Sardar Popindar Singh, the Maharaja of Patiala. It was repaired by the Govt of Pakistan in 1995 incurring expenditure in lacs of rupees. It has a spacious and beautiful building. Its location beside a forest and river Ravi makes its care difficult.