Gurudwara Sri Ber Sahib, Sultanpur Lodhi, the principal shrine at Sultanpur, is situated on the bank of the rivulet Kali Beiri, half a kilometre to the west of the old town. Guru Nanak performed his morning ablutions in the Bein and then sat under a ber (Zizyphus jujuba) tree to meditate.
It was during one such ablution that Guru Nanak had what is described in the Janam Sakhis as a direct communion with the Divine. As the Janam Sakhis narrate the details, Guru Nanak one morning disappeared into the stream and was not seen for two days. When he reappeared at a spot, 2 km upstream, now known as Sant Ghat, the first words he uttered were, "There is no Hindu, there is no Musalman." Guru Nanak was now ready to embark on his long journeys. Gurdwara Ber Sahib is built by the side of an old ber tree which is believed to be the one under which Guru Nanak used to sit in meditation.
The present building of Gurdwara Ber Sahib was raised by Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala. The cornerstone was laid by Bhai Arjan Singh ofBagarian on 25 February 1937, and the Gurdwara was on completion dedicated by MaharajaYadavinder Singh of Patiala on 26 January 1941. Standing on high plinth and entered through a portico, supported by octagonal columns, and a small entrance gallery is the high ceilinged, inarble floored hall.
At the far end, marked off by a high archway decorated with floral designs in stucco, is the sanctum sanctorum, where the Guru Granth Sahib is seated on a white marble palakJ or canopied throne. Besides the daily services and observance of important Sikh anniversaries, a largelyattended fair takes place in November to mark the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak
Gurudwara Sri Ber Sahib is situated in the Sultanpur Lodhi town of Kapurthala district. Guru Nanak Dev ji used to take bath in bein river and then meditate. Guru Sahib stayed here for 14 years 9 months and 13 days. While bathing here one day in bein river Guru Sahib disappeared and was missing and returned after three days at the place where Gurudwara Sri Santghat Sahib is situated. Upon returning enlightned Guru Sahib began his liflong mission of preaching sikhism. Guru Nanak Dev ji planted a ber tree on this spot which has grown into a large tree.