A fierce and bloody battle was fought at Bhangani near Paonta Sahib ,when Rajput hill Rajas jointly attacked Guruji. Raja Bhim Chand, Raja Fateh Singh and Raja Kesri Singh led the Rajput troops. The Sikhs fought valiantly with courage and determination. Their patriotic fervour came handy and they carried the day under the command of Guru Gobind Singh. This was a decisive battle won by the Guru. Praises were showered on him for his valour, skill and courage in the battlefield. Pir Buddhu Shah alongwith his 500 disciples fought on the side of the Guru. His timely help, was appreciated by the Guru. A Gurdwara stands today at the place where the battle of Bhangani took place.
Gurdwara Tir Garhi (Bhangani) - Bhagani, a small Village on the right bank of the River Yamuna in Paonta tahsil of Sirmaur district, is the place where Guru Gobind Singh fought his first battle against the hill chiefs in 1688. Although only 11 kilometres from Paonta Sahib as the crow flies, Bhangani is approached by a 22 kilometres, stretch of a winding, fair-weather though motorable road. The dispute with the hill chiefs arose when Raja Bhim Chand of Kahlur, annoyed with Guru Gobind Singh over the latter's refusal to give him a trained elephant, went to Srinagar (Garhwal) to marry his son Ajmer Chand to the daughter or Raja Fateh Chand of Garhwal. As Fateh Chand was friendly with Guru Gobind Singh, then staying at Paonta Sahib, the Guru, too, sent a few Sikhs to Srinagar with tambol, the customary wedding present in cash. Bhim Chand forced Raja Fateh Chand to refuse the present from one who was his (Bhim Chand's) enemy. Not content with that, he also made Fateh Chand and other chiefs to agree to infest Paonta after the marriage. Guru Gobind Singh on his part came to know of their plan and made preparations for a showdown. He came forward to Bhangani to meet the invaders. The battle took place on 16th April 1688 (though some chronicler differ on this point), and ended on the same day with a complete victory for the Guru. Two Gurdawaras exist at Bhangani. The one right on the river bank where the Guru had his command post is called Gurdwara Tir Garhi, and the other a few hundred yards behind it is known as Gurdwara Bhangani Sahib. A congregational fair is held on 16th, 17th and 18th of Baisakh (end April) to commemorate the victorious battle of Bhangani.