Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha Southall
When the first Sikhs arrived in Southall in the 1940’s and 50’s, they used homes as Gurdwara’s, as the population grew, so did the need for large building.
Initially programmes were held at Shackleton Hall, until the move to 11 Beaconsfield Road. Soon the emigration of Malaysian and Singaporean Sikhs led to the formation of an additional group – Sri Guru Nanak Singh Sabha. The two groups remained independent until (1964) when they merged as Sri Guru Singh Sabha Southall. In 1964 the group opened their first Gurdwara. It was situated at the Green; the Gurdwara also served as the headquarters of the Sri Guru Singh Sabha Southall (SGSSS). This site remains, with plans for a new community centre to be built.
As a result of the relentless sewa by the sangat, the dairy was transformed into a Gurdwara in a matter of weeks. The Khanda was brought in April 1967 to England from the Tosha Khana at Darbar Sahib Amritsar for Amrit Parchar. From such humble beginnings Sri Guru Singh Sabha Southall soon emerged as the leading Gurdwara outside of India.
In 1997 saw Sri Guru Singh Sabha Southall move to the Park Avenue site (originally purchased in 1984). This was to allow for the construction of the current day Havelock Road Gurdwara.
On 30th March 2003 Havelock Road, Gurdwara site was inaugurated by HRH Prince of Wales – Prince Charles. Since then many dignitaries such as Former Prime Minister Rt Hon Tony Blair, Archbishop of Canterbury and the leaders of all the Political Parties have visited the Gurdwara.