Gurudwara Theri Sahib Muktsar
Gurdwara Thehri Sahib is associated with the Tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji. He came here on his way to Damdama Sahib, Delhi, after winning the battle of Muktsar. A yogi, Hukam Nath, stayed here with his followers. He had, through meditation, acquired some mystical powers. When Guru Ji came here, Hukam Nath tried to impress him with his mystical powers, but, none of his powers worked in front of Guru Ji. The ashamed yogi left the place with his followers without telling anyone and appreciated their prompt reaction. To test the alertness of his Sikhs, Guru Ji lowered his arrow saluted the grave of a Muslim Saint, Qasim Bhatti near by in the morning. His alert Sikhs immediately reacted to this prohibited act and asked Guruji to pay a fine of Rs. Twenty Five. The Guru willingly accepted their punishment. It is believed that the amount received was utilized in preparation of Degh which was distributed among the sangat. In addition, it is also believed that Guru Ji halted near a group of three Jand trees and after hanging his arms and belt on them, rested for some time. A small Shrine was established in the center of these trees which can still be seen here. The gurdwara is managed by the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee. The birthdays of Guru Nanak Devji, Guru Arjun Dev Ji and Guru Gobind Singh Ji are celebrated with great fervour.
Accomodation: A saran of ten rooms with limited facilities are available for pilgrimes to stay during their visit to Gurdwara Sahib.
Gurdwara Thehri Sahib is located on the main Malout-Bhatinda Road in Village Thehri, ten kilometers from Malout, eight kilometers from Gidderbaha and thirty six kilometers from Bhatinda.
Theri, pronounced Therhi or Thehri, Village 9 km west of`Giddarbaha (30″12`N, 74″39`E) in Faridkot district of the Punjab, is sacred to Guru Gobind Singh who visited it on his way from Muktsar to Talvandi Sabo in 1706. Here he humbled the pride of a yogi, Hukam Nath, who claimed to possess occult powers. An old chronicle, Malva. Des Ratan di Sakhi Pothi, records an anecdote similar to the one associated with a place in Rajasthan, called Dadudvara. The Guru, it says, saluted the grave of Qasim Bhatti, a local Muslim, saint, near which sat Hukam Nath, by lowering his arrow to it.
The Sikhs accompanying him at once objected, for the Guru had himself forbidden his followers to bow before tombs and graves. They laid him under penalty, declaring him to be tankhahia or guilty of breach of the Sikh code. Guru Gobind Singhappreciated their vigilance, and willingly paid the fine imposed. Gurdwara Thehri Sahib, marking the spot where the Guru had halted close to a group of three Jand trees (Prosopis spicigera), was raised in 1913. It is affiliated to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee and has been temporarily handed over to the followers of Sant Gurmukh Singh Sevavale for renovation.
1. Malva Des Ratan di Sakhi Pothi. Amritsar, 1968
2. Narotam, Tara Singh, SriGuru Tirath Sahgrahi. Kankhal, 1975
3. Gian Singh, Giani, Twarikh Gurduarian. Amritsar, n.d
The Secretary, Management Committee,
Gurdwara Thehri Sahib,
Village Thehri, Post office Faqarsar,
Tehsil Gidderbaha, District Muktsar
Pin code 152 107
Phone : 91- 1637-72721/ 72718