Gurudwara Sri Guru Ka Baag, Sainsara
This Gurdwara is situated at a distance of about 20 Km from Amritsar City on Amritsar-Ajnala Road in Village Ghukkevali.
The Fifth Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Arjun Dev Ji had shown future of next 40 Years to Raja Hari Sen in his dreams. Guru Ji visited this place in 1585 and Raja Hari Sen also came here. Then Guru Ji uttered these words : ” Lekh Na Mitye He Sakhi Jo Likhya Kartar ” – meaning no one can erase what has been written in his destiny by God.
The Ninth Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji also visited this place in 1664 and stayed for about 9 Months, 9 Days and 9 Hours at Sikh’s house. Guru Ji used to meditate here and also planted trees here and named this place as ‘Guru Ka Bagh’. Guru Ji blessed this place as : ” Jehra Akhoo Guru Ka Bagh, Uhnoo Lagange Bhagg ” – meaning anyone who will say it Garden of Guru, he will have great fortunes.
An important historical event – ‘Saka Guru Ka Bagh’ also happened here in the Year 1922. In 1920’s, the management of most of the Gurdwaras had fallen into the hands of Mahants. The Sikhs were able to free many Gurdwaras through peaceful resistance. In 1921, Gurdwara Guru Ka Bagh was under the control of Mahant Sundar Das. The Sikhs negotiated with him and he passed the control of the Gurdwara to Shiromani Committee, but later on refused to give the land associated with it. The Sikhs used to take the wood from here for community kitchen. Mahant Sundar Das objected to Sikhs cutting down the trees and 5 Sikhs were arrested by the Police on 9 August, 1922 on charges of trespass. Next Day they were tried and sentenced to six Months of rigorous imprisonment.
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee started an agitation and decided to send a Jatha (a group) of 5 Sikhs everyday to take wood from the land of Gurdwara Guru Ka Bagh. From 22 August, 1922 the Police started to arrest Jathas on charges of theft and trespass and on 25 August, 1922 the Police started a lathi-charge (beating with cane) on orders of S.G.M. Beatty, the ASP.
Following this, the S.G.P.C. increased the size of Jatha to 100. On 26 August, 1922 the arrest warrants were issued against eight member of S.G.P.C. Now Teja Singh Samudari took charge of the agitation. The British Government banned the assembly of people at Gurdwara Guru Ka Bagh and to prevent people from coming here, the Police barricades were posted all over the District. But Sikhs wearing Black turbans used to come here and were beaten up mercilessly by the Police. The Reporters and Political Leaders came to see this non-violent protest. This continued to happen until Sir Edward Maclagan, the Governor of Punjab visited Gurdwara Guru Ka Bagh on 13 September, 1922. The beating of Sikhs was stopped, but mass arrests alongwith heavy fines were made. To find a solution to the problem, the Governor of Punjab met Lord Reading, the Governor General of India at Shimla. The help of Sir Ganga Ram was taken who acquired the land of Gurdwara Guru Ka Bagh on lease from Mahant Sundar Das on 17 November, 1922 and allowed Sikhs to take wood from here. The arrested Sikhs were released on 27 April, 1923 which ended the agitation. According to S.G.P.C. records, 5605 Sikhs were arrested in total.