Gurdwara Sat Sang Sahib Ambala
Gurdwara Sat Sang Sahib – The remaining two historical Gurdwaras are related to the martyrdom of Guru Tegh Bahadur, and the carrying of his head to Kiratpur and Chakk Nanaki by Bhai Jaita in November 1675. Gurdwara Sat Sang Sahib is on the Hospital Road in Mohalla Kukharan (lit. potters) on the site where Bhai Jaita traveling incognito, with the Guru’s severed head placed in a basket and carried on his head, had first halted on his arrival from Traori and enquired about any Sikh’s house. One Mehar Dhumian directed him to a house where he spent the night and where now stands Gurdwara Sis Ganj in Mohalla Kainth Majri close to the Shrine of Hazrat Tawakkal Shah Naqshbandi.
In 1675 AD, Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji was beheaded on the orders of the mughal emperor Aurangzeb, a terrorist muslim, for refusing to convert to Islam. Before his body could be quartered and exposed to public view, it was stolen under the cover of darkness by one of his Sikhs, Lakhi Shah Vanjara, who then burnt his house to cremate the Guru’s body.
The Sis (severed head) of Guru Tegh Bahadur was brought to Anandpur Sahib by Bhai Jaita, another Sikh of the Guru. Bhai Jaita was traveling incognito, with the Guru’s severed head placed in a basket and carried on his head. Before going to Anandpur, Bhai Jaita arrived at the location of Gurdwara Sri Sat Sang Sahib and asked for any Sikh homes nearby.